Monday, January 2, 2012

How my Love of Flying Began



Ever since I was a little girl I’ve wanted to fly because my father had his private pilots, and worked in the aviation industry so naturally I was surrounded by planes (mostly my father’s love for them).  Yet, for the longest time I honestly believed girls weren't supposed to fly, mind you I was a little girl. As I grew older life took its hold on me, and flying along with a few other dreams were set on a back burner as I went through the ups and downs of growing up.  Once in high school however, they were relentless about us writing up a plan about our future of where we wanted to be and how we were going to get there. So I sat down, and thought about what was important to me. Space. I love space. And that’s when my dream of flying was rekindled. Suddenly, I wasn’t going to let go of flying again. I was determined to get my private pilots license no matter what the cost and to work towards my dream. I was determined to get as close to my dream as I could. And getting my private pilots was just the first step to it. Never however, would I have thought I’d love flying as much as I do, and if you would have told me then that only a few years later I’d be flying, I’d have laughed at you.

But, here I am happier than I’ve ever been! I have a few posts to write up, to get you caught up to where I am now, but one thing is for sure. Learning to fly is the most challenging endeavor I’ve ever taken on. For once, I’m doing something that is not only making me a better person, but pushing me to my limits. I’m working on becoming the safest and best pilot I can be.
So here is to the New Year! My first resolution: to earn my private pilot’s license as quickly as possible and to start my instrument. My second: To come back here after my lessons to update you, even though I’m more swamped than I’ve ever been. 

 By coming here after my lessons I not only have a way to discuss my flight process, but I can also process what was done that day. By no means am I saying this is how you should fly. For information on maneuvers and so forth regard the FAA Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. This is simply my story in becoming a pilot.

No comments: