Friday, January 27, 2012

First Day of Ground School

January 9, 2012
Pain Field
Ground school

I almost forgot to give an update about how ground school is going! I can honestly say my CFI did a good job teaching me the basics because the first and second week of ground school was nothing but a review for me. It felt wonderful to actually know that I am learning something! Every flight lesson I sit there more and more lost. Some days I feel like I'll never know all that needs to be learned... And I'm just working on my private pilots! Whats going to happen when I'm doing my instrument rating or working towards my commercial?! It's all so overwhelming and discouraging at times. Yet, for once I felt like I was doing alright (while short lived of course).

I'm not going to post after every ground school lesson, there's really no point, though I may give an update every now and again. Ground school is just getting me prepared for taking the written exam, though you don't have to attend a formal ground school for this. You can self-study. I however, recommend it if you have the money. I'm assuming most of the guys teaching the ground school is pretty knowledgeable, my instructor for instance always has a story to tell. It usually reinforces whats being taught and helps the information stick, there's also lots of little ways or tricks I should say that help you remember things you need to know. Not to mention the fact that you'll get to interact with other student pilots. I really have no one to talk to about my training besides my dad (no one who really understands it I should say) so its nice to meet others going through the same rewarding struggles as I.

I'm doing the traditional ground school course. Its ten weeks long, every Monday and Wednesday from 6:30pm-8:30pm. The flight school I attend has an accelerated program, its something like two or three weekends 8 hours each day and you're basically hustling through the information. If you can do that, all the more power to you! I however, prefer the slow paced method so the information can really sink. After all, I'm just starting my training and I have a long road ahead of me. All of what I'm learning now is not going to go away anytime soon.

No comments: