Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Lesson-and in Love!

November 6th, 2011
Pain Field
Cessna 152
1.0 hours, 1 takeoff, 1 landing




Cessna I fly



My first official lesson by myself (no father or brother with me). And my first flight in the Cessna 152 (which I’ll be flying from this point on). This day too is a blur to me, I remember the whole drive there I couldn’t believe I was actually going to fly. I was officially a student pilot! I had even gotten my 3rd class medical. The only thing between me and my private pilot’s license now was time and money. I parked my car, and quickly rushed into the flight school before my nerves got the best of me. Once again, my flight instructor took me aside and quickly talked about a few things, before again taking me out and helping me preflight the plane. This time I paid attention, after all, soon I would be preflighting the airplane without him helping me out. Better I learn now then forget something when he wouldn’t be around. Before I knew it, we were sitting in the plane and I was again taxiing, which I did so much better the first time than I did then. I listened as my CFI talked to tower. “I’m going to walk you through take off,” he said. My pulse jumped. Take off? Already? I hesitantly nodded, as he told me what to do, and of course helped me.

I can't remember the take off at all. I think I was terrified. I can remember leveling off though, and suddenly being hit with the biggest rush I'd ever felt (or so I thought at the time). I could feel the adrenalin pumping through my veins. I felt free.

My whole life I've craved something more. I was never happy just being in school, I had to be doing things on the side. Soccer. Tennis. Track. Dance. Photography. French. Hiking. Camping. Yoga. Writing. And so on. I thought that it was just the desire to achieve my dream that I was missing because no matter what I tried, nothing ever quite fit me. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of that, but none of that fulfilled me. Until that is, I flew. By this time, I just knew that flying was what I had been missing. I can't explain it, but I feel complete when I'm flying. Nothing else matters when I'm up there. 



Looking back I wonder what my CFI though of me. My first two flights I hardly said a word. Were all students like that? I would freeze up, and everything I’d read up on would simply fly out of my mind. Never in my life has that ever happened to me. I’m not the type of person to freeze up. I’m usually on top of my game. But flying is different. I can’t explain it. I simply nodded most of the time, and only talked when he asked a direct question. I still do that now, but for different reasons. Now I’m  focused on learning to fly this plane as best and as smoothly as I can. Then, I was simply terrified. Not of crashing or anything, but that I was actually flying and still couldn’t fathom it.

This lesson was basically the same as my discovery flight, straight and level flight along with turns and descents. Simply getting a feel for the plane and learning to control the basics. When we landed I felt light and free. I walked out of the flight school, in love and with a much bigger rush than I had when I started. I was in love with flying, never in my life had I ever fallen in love with something as quickly as I had this. I can’t even begin to explain to you the feeling of flight, there’s just this rush with flying that’s nothing like anything I’ve ever felt. It’s amazing, that’s all there is too it, flying is simply amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything.


That day, I left my heart up there in that beautiful sky.
When my feet are on the ground, I feel less complete.
But up there, I'm whole.

I know you don't understand, and you probably never will unless you're one of the lucky few to escape to the sky of your own accord- not someone else. But you, in control.

Total cost invested thus far: $441

No comments: