Monday, July 7, 2014

A Weekend in Washington DC

Back in high school they had this awesome deal for students if they wanted to go to Washington DC for the summer- at the time I had little interest to go. Yet, the moment it was too late to sign up, I regretted it and promised myself I would one day travel there. So, it shouldn’t be a surprise that 5 months into my journey I’d find a way to fly out to the DC area. While everyone I loved and knew was celebrating the 4th of July with awesome food, great drinks, and killer fireworks, we were just taking off on a redeye to DC.

As we took off, we were welcomed into the sky with a vast display of color. One moment we were submerged in color, the next we were watching the colors fade beneath us. Back in the sky. It seems I spend more of my time up there than I do in my own home these days. Then again, I was made for the sky. If you’ve read my aviation journey then you would understand.. But alas we are talking about my travel adventures not my flight ones! I just want to say one thing, redeye flights suck. Really badly. You’re super tired, but trying to sleep sitting upright is extremely uncomfortable. Not to mention the flight attendants don’t seem to be effected by the time and seem to talk the entire flight to each other (I don’t know how you guys do it- but could you pass some of that energy to me?). Once it’s finally time for landing you take a quick look at yourself, stiff neck, smeared makeup, bags under those blood shot eyes, and hair a frantic mess. This new looks gives hung over me a run for her money..

Fortunately, there’s nothing like natural sunlight and a new place to send a burst of energy through your tired bones! Before I get into the meat and bones of this post, I cannot rant and rave enough about how awesome the Holiday Inn in DC is! Seriously, they let us check in at 8am -no extra charge- and the manager was super nice to us our entire stay. The price was also affordable. If you don’t know where you want to stay I recommend hitting them up. They have a shuttle to and from the airport- free of charge- and they also shuttle you to the metro. Once you get to the metro station, DC is literally in the palm of your hand. Where do you want to go? Doesn’t matter, I bet the metro can take you there for a small fee.

We saw quite a lot, yet at the same time we didn’t see enough as we would have liked. We managed to see Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, the World War II Memorial, went to Lafayette Park, the Washington Monument, the White House and the National Air and Space Museum. The sad part? We missed seeing a lot. It’s true, you cannot see all of DC in one trip- so fear not, I will be visiting again soon!

If I was only aloud to give 1 reason why Washington D.C. is a worthy place to visit, besides the abundance of activities, I would recommend it simply for the ease of traveling between monuments. They have an awesome capital bike share program. At first it seems confusing, but that’s only because it’s such a simple idea. I’ll try and break it down for you. They have bikes everywhere that you can essentially rent, or use. You pay $8 per bike using a card (they need some way to charge you if you never return the bike), with this $8 you become a ‘member’. Your first 30 minutes are free on that bike (go over 30 min and you pay more), but here’s the cool part. Its 30 min on EACH bike. So, if you don’t want to pay an extra fee you just ride to whatever monument you want to see, and there almost always is another bike location where you can drop off your bike. So, drop off your bike, see the monument, come back get another bike, and the time restarts (another 30 min to get to another bike location) without you having to pay again. So long as you keep switching bikes within the 30 minutes, you don’t get changed anything more. It’s pretty great. And seeing as how I hadn’t been on a bike in years, it’s was exhilarating! But, if you have a helmet at home, you probably should bring one with you on your trip! On another note, I did not see any bikes for kids.

So far, DC has been my favorite place we've traveled by air (Cannon Beach was by car). Well, actually, it ties with Vegas. Hands down, I know I will be back, I have so much more to see. Thinking about going to DC? Trying to figure out how your day will go? Any questions? Feel free to message me!

Until next month, happy travels.

EM

No comments: